Friday, January 19, 2007

Takeo - Kampot

Takeo had been a challenge as it was hard to find some english translations of anything. Luckily I had the directions (courtesy Grasshopper Adventures) to the better guesthouse by the square with the Independence Monument. Dinner was a case of lift the lids on all the pots and try and guess what it might be. Shuddering at non recognition I smiled and shook my head and wandered on. I ended up in the street stalls around the market and having some satay type meat on small sticks and a pastry samosa type snack and 2 wonderful fruit shakes tukalok and suprise an alcohol free day.
I later find out that Takeo is the poorest province and that explains a lot but still my room (a/c, tv, hotwater) was $5usd and my dinner probably cost me less than that.
Takeo to Kampot 85km , weather - hot sun, ride easy but long



Vanak a young schoolboy who rode with me on his way home about 9km so he could practice his english, his conversation was good. He asked was I tired , was I bored (yep a bit of both) and did I mind if he rode with me (not a problem at all). This is his house,shop, farm and once he had lunch he had to take the cattle somehwere - it's is so different to what city Australian schoolkids do!
Town along the way
market place en roue to Kampot, it rained overnight. I am so glad most of the road was sealed cos Friday and I got quite dirty in just a short time in this surface.
A typical Cambdian rural scene - palm trees in particular
Grasshopper on my bike carrier at Takeo - good sign for I was wearing my Grasshopper Adventures bike shirt that morning!
scenery

this was an icecream sandwich for lunch after I flagged down the "Mr Whippy Van"
A rare sight - mountain and I didn't have to ride it.

No comments: